Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Happy National Running Day!


This time last year I remember thinking I have joined the running community.  I couldn't help but not run or post about it being national running day. The last year the running community on Instagram has grown dear to my heart and supported me through spring training and my decision to finally run a half marathon.

Today I read that 1% of people in the United States can run one mile.  If you would have asked me five years ago if I would be running a half marathon I would have laughed.  Ten years ago if you would have told me that in 2012 I would cross the finish line of a 10K with a kick butt time I would have doubted it.  But if you would have told me that in 2013 I would be crossing the finish line of my very first body I would have said, "over my dead body!"  Seriously.  Let's just says that I was never in shape and was bigger then most the other girls my age.  So I'm so grateful for the support of my family, friends, and internet friends.  If you're sitting on the side line saying that will never be me, I challenge you to push the limit, start small and set practical goals for yourself (no one else).

That being said, today I ran for the first time in fives days and it was rough.  However, I was reminded that I am capable of so much more then I think is possible.  Somedays I think I've completely lost my marbles for signing up for a half marathon, but I'm so glad that on a cold March day (my birthday) I signed up for a half in September.  There is no turning back now and if I'm going to run it, I'm going to train and train to the best of my ability.  So I'm enjoying pushing through the doubt, sickness, and hard weeks.  I've learned that I can too extend grace to myself when I miss a run, heaven forbid I only run twice in a week.  But I'm starting to be ok with it and instead of focusing on the training plan enjoying the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment