Thursday, March 28, 2013

{thankful} birthday edition

Today is my birthday, so I'm just going to be honest.  Sometime I don't feel like a joyful, thankful person.  Not like the pre-kids days where I was well rested and whatever else.  But today, on my birthday, I am reminded that I would not want my life any other way. I have so much to be thankful for. I wouldn't trade these precious moments for the world! So I'm going to take a minute to count my blessings...

I'm thankful for my family.  They have been there through the ups and downs of life.  With open arms they accepted my husband and his son as their own.  Sometimes I don't realize how odd that is because it's my family, it's what they do.  But it's such a gift.  I'm so glad I've got to celebrate my 24 years of my life along side my mom's 55 years of life {sorry mom}.  Sharing birthday weekends has always been my favorite thing! {I hope I get to share our birthday with one of my own kids some day}.  Im so glad we got to getaway and have fun together.  To laugh and relax together, just creating memories to last a lifetime!

I'm thankful that my wake up call on my 24th birthday was from this beautiful little girl who couldn't contain her excitement any more.  She had to wake me up yelling "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!!!"  Birthdays are way more fun when your kids love celebrating {and half the time think it's about them}.

I'm thankful that my husband feels the same urgency for me to be home with my children, raising them up to be the next generation.  Sometimes that's just cuddling a two year old, but I can't wait to see what God has in store for their big hearts.  I feel honored and humbled that God has entrusted them to us.

I'm thankful that this year my birthday falls the day before Good Friday.  The greatest gift of all, Jesus Christ dying on the cross for my sins, is a very personal thing.  However, it feels a little more personal this year.  It feels more like a gift to me.  My heart races thinking about how I need to teach my children about their need for Savior in the every day.  He is the way, the truth, and the life.  

I'm thankful that I have a healthy body and can be active.  I'm so thankful my husband supports me in running, although it's an inconvenience to him at times.  Some of my favorite moments with God on my runs.

I'm thankful that I have an amazing husband that spoils me rotten every single day! However on my birthday he's even more amazing! {If that's even possible}.  I love seeing my husband lead our family, love our daughter, and I can't wait to see what God has in store for us.  For right now, I love being by your side {especially when we race go-cart vs moped and I beat you!} 

I'm thankful for the best gift I've ever received, my baby girl.  Every single day she teaches me how to love deeper.  We say that she's "sweet n spicy" around here.  Yes, she has her fair share of meltdowns, but her heart is pure gold.  This girl can love like no other.  Of course I learn lots about myself and my need for more patience and grace.  I love that she has helped me see the faith of a child. No matter what I do or how I raise her, it doesn't matter.  She is God's.  He will work in her heart, He will cover all the screw ups I make, and she has the perfect Father.  Parenting teaches you that a lot isn't in your control.  I'm learning to be ok with that.

I'm thankful for the moments I see hear "well done my good and faithful servant."  I'm hard on myself.  What parent isn't?  But having a toddler isn't for the faint of heart.  When my daughter says to me, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be."  My heart melts into a pool.  When she sings praise songs in the car with me, my heart skips a beat.  When she learns Bible verses like, "He is not hear.  He has risen!!!" and cheers.  I am reminded that I was created for a reason, to teach the next generation of Christ lovers.  I couldn't be more humble on this journey in motherhood.  Thank you Jesus for the sweet reminder that our labor is not in vain.

I'm thankful my in laws {parent in laws, sibling in laws, grandparent in laws, etc}.  I'm so blessed to have a second family.  A family that welcomes me with arms wide open.  A family who lets us live with them longer then we anticipated.  A family that no matter what, is there for us.  I wouldn't be more grateful for my second family, but even more so the friendships inside my family. 



2 comments: