Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tot School {The Mitten}

The last few months I've been reading all about literature based curriculums
There are dozens of great blogs highlighting their journey through literature based learning,
 but my favorites so far are Homeschool Creations, Delightful Learning and Homeschool Share.
This year I'm just working through some of the activities and packets that I have found online.
However next year I want to start doing more preschool, so the plan is to do Before Five in a Row.

This week we worked on The Mitten by Jan Brett.
A friend let us borrow her white mitten and improvised animals.
Addi loved this! She asked to read the book a million times in a row.
Then she took the book and animals to get her cousin involved.
It was the cutest thing watching them study the animals, learn their names, and take turns filling the mitten. 
Each day we worked on a few printables, which is fun to see her so proud of her accomplishments.
We had some sparkly white playdough, so we used her little animals to print and make tracks.

I have a confession to make: Addi got this awesome reusable sticker pad for her birthday...
seven months ago! And I just now opened them for her to play with.
Yep, I have a little bit of sticker-phobia.  I kept picturing tangled sticker clings and tears.
Now I'm glad I waited a little while because she loved dressing up the little girls.
We printed out two little pictures of all the animals, so she would find the matches.
Then she would take the figures and match them up.
One night we were a little stir crazy, so we headed to Goodwill.
We may have got my new favorite book and Hedgie Loves to Read.
It's another book by Jan Brett, so it was a prefect little book to go along with our mitten week.
 Through out all our learning time she had this little puppy {Zeke} wrapped in a blanket and on her lap. 
It was the cutest thing and it just reminds me of why I want to homeschool.
Not only to teach my daughter the fundamentals of learning, but also to teach her the love of a relationship with her heavenly Father and the deep sense of compassion.
Watching her love of learning makes me so excited to be bless to teach her! 

{Addi is 31 months old}
1+1+1=1 Link Up & FIAR


1 comment:

  1. We have not read "The Mitten" yet but I think I may order it from Amazon soon! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete